Professional Supervisor Skills is an intensive program ideal for newly promoted or aspiring supervisors who are motivated to succeed and excel in their new role. Participants learn the difference between managing and leading, how to deal with challenges, effective prioritization, professional communication habits, and team motivation. They will also develop skills on providing useful feedback and empowering their team to grow and flourish.
Session One: Course Overview
Session Two: Adjusting to Your Role
- A Survival Guide
- Making the Transition
Session Three: A Supervisor’s Responsibilities
Session Four: Action-Centered Leadership
- The Action-Centered Leadership Model
- Considering the Possibilities
Session Five: Making Plans
- Old Sayings with Staying Power
- Urgent-Important Matrix
- Prioritizing Case Study
- The Elements of Planning
- Planning to Plan
Session Six: Setting Goals
Session Seven: Defining Leadership
- What is Leadership?
- Brief History of Leadership Studies
- The Leadership Formula
- Case Studies
Session Eight: The Situational Leadership Model
- About Leadership
- Understanding Your Comfort Zone
Session Nine: What’s Your Type? How About Mine?
- Assessing Your Preferences
- What Does it Mean To Have a Number?
Session Ten: Team Building Tips
- What is a Team?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Teams
Session Eleven: Developing a High-Performing Team
- The Five Stages of Team Development
- How Can I Help?
- Team Problem Solving
- Team Leadership
Session Twelve: Communication Skills
- Defining Communication
- Communication Barriers
- Active Listening Skills
- Questioning Skills
- Probing Techniques
- The Communication Process
Session Thirteen: Motivating Employees
- To Motivate or Instigate
- Making Connections
Session Fourteen: Orientation and Onboarding
- The First 48 Hours
- How Did Your Orientation Rate?
Session Fifteen: Training Tips and Tricks
- Guidelines for Effective Training
- Developing Your Training Skills
Session Sixteen: Providing Feedback
- Six Characteristics of Effective Feedback
- Skill Building
- Receiving Feedback
Session Seventeen: Doing Delegation Right
- What is Delegation?
- Defining Delegation
- Making Connections
Session Eighteen: Dealing with Conflict
- The Conflict Resolution Process
- The Problem Solving Process
- The Conference
Session Nineteen: Managing Disciplinary Issues
- Recommended Reading List
- Personal Action Plan