Business process management helps organizations control processes to achieve their goals and to be successful. Once processes are implemented, they must be monitored, evaluated, and optimized to make sure they are still meeting the goals that they were designed to accomplish. A business that can successfully manage its processes is able to maintain a competitive edge, while increasing productivity and efficiency and decreasing costs.
This course will introduce participants to business process management. Students will learn how business processes can help improve their company’s bottom line by providing a higher level of quality and consistency for customers.
This course is based on the six steps of the business process life cycle (create, design, model, execute, monitor, and optimize). It also includes information on process improvement tools such as Lean and Six Sigma.
Session One: Course Overview
Session Two: The Fundamentals of Business Process Management
- What is Business Analysis?
- What is Enterprise Content Management?
- Enterprise Content Management Model
- What is Business Process Re-Engineering?
- Business Process Re-Engineering Model
Session Three: Defining Business Process Management
- What is Business Process Management?
- Brief History of Business Process Management
- What are the Benefits of Business Process Management?
Session Four: Reflecting on Processes
Session Five: The Business Process Life Cycle
Session Six: The Vision Phase
- Creating a Vision and Seeing the Big Picture
- Sharing Your Vision
- Dreaming Big
Session Seven: The Design Phase
- Gathering Information
- Defining Your Problem
- Identifying Existing and Future Processes
- About Process Mapping
- Creating a Process Map with a Flow Chart
- Creating a Process Map with a Swimlane Diagram
- Map it Out
- Defining Improvements
- Establishing Functions and Identifying Function Leaders
Session Eight: The Modeling Phase
- Performing What-if Analysis
- Test Driving
- Testing the Design
Session Nine: The Execution Phase
- Implementing Processes
- Exploring Automation
- Automating Processes
- Understanding Business Rules
- Making Connections
- The Role of Workflow Engines
- Case Studies
- Steps to Implement a Workflow Engine
Session Ten: The Monitoring Phase
- Implementing Measures
- What is Business Activity Monitoring (BAM)?
- The Balanced Scorecard
- Creating a Balanced Scorecard
- Identifying Gaps with Process Mining
Session Eleven: The Optimizing Phase
- What It’s All About
- Business Process Improvement
- Introduction to Lean
- Cut Out the Waste
- Introduction to Six Sigma
- Tie It All Together
- Recommended Reading List
- Personal Action Plan